View Single Post
Old 12-14-15, 09:57 PM   #11
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi Steve,
Generac makes some larger units that power critical loads in OKC. Some are >20 years old. They use a natural gas Ford engine. They seem to be very reliable. The techs told me if there is a problem its with the AVR board.

I have an old 3 phase Kohler 15kW whith a 4 cyl Wisconsin engine on natural gas or propane. It's was good but not great. The power tended to be dirty, that is, lots of harmonics. AVR boards are $980!! I've changed 2 so far and will not buy another one. Also, it went through propane like pouring water out of a bucket. 100 lb propane bottle will last 15 minutes on a 5000 watt resistive load! Diesel and even gas is much cheaper to run. I hope the new ones are better.

I'm 30 miles south of OKC and we got pea sized hail. Power was off for 4.5 hrs., which is nothing here. The grid power would have been missed if it had been off longer than a day because of well pumps and elecrtic water heaters. I did check the neighbor's yard lights to see if they have power. None. (We have 2 neighbors within site now.)

In your situation, I would consider using an inverter and forklift batteries plus grid tie at least on your freezers. If you don't need the power, you can sell it. At least the batteries would give you some backup time during ice storms. Might keep you from filling the diesel tank in the middle of an ice storm too.
Winter is still to come here as you well know.

philb is offline   Reply With Quote