View Single Post
Old 03-24-13, 10:30 PM   #10
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Klimaire:

Built a new shop for son this last year and took a chance on a Klimaire as the local bldg dept required an energy star rating on equipment for new buildings (did not allow DIY heat pump unless you want to go thru the expense of ARI testing, etc. )

Bought a 19.2 SEER 18K BTU mini-split unit, only complaint is all controls are by remote IR handheld unit only, so will have to hack into the electronics after all the code inspections.

Was afraid I might be 'getting took', but have been pleasantly surpirsed at the quality of the unit. Quietest outdoor unit I've ever experienced, indoor similar (until I stuck my finger into the output grill and broke off 4 vanes of the squirrle cage fan - (quite a task to glue the vanes back on and balance without taking the entire unit apart - another story)

Took the whole thing apart first to see how well built it was. The compressor was a toshiba (unless the nameplate was counterfeit, but it looked like a toshiba) and the inverter electronics were well made. Definitely made in China, as folks I bought it from had a 4 week delay in getting their incoming shipment thru customs.

Was going to braze the connections vs. the flare, took a chance on the flares and torqued with POE oil on threads and flare faces, 4 months now and going great - on assy, did pull a 300 micron vac for 4 hrs to be sure after a 600 psi dry N2 4 hr test.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote