View Single Post
Old 04-23-12, 01:46 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'll add to what I just said. AHRI doesn't do anything for window units, my point was that window units don't get a SEER rating and only AHRI does that with more substantial permantently installed units such as A/Cs, boilers, furnaces, and ductless units.

I read through that review in your edit, didn't notice it before. Sounds like a fake and cheap unit. I have a 5k BTU window A/C that uses between 400 and 500 watts most of the time unless it gets very hot out, rated 10.7 EER, which is energy star. Based on his review I'm not even sure that unit would pass the federal minimum standards. Since its on ebay, it could come from China and the federal standards could easily be skirted. Most consumers wouldn't know the difference, even with it installed. The air flow numbers are odd too 300CFM is way over what a 5k unit should put out. 150 would be appropriate for good dehumidification and 220 is a little high but if humidity isn't an issue, it might be more efficient but 300CFM wouldn't be because you wouldn't get any dehumidification because the evap. coil won't get cold enough.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote