View Single Post
Old 05-18-16, 10:09 AM   #46
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Battery choices

It depends on the application and all batteries have their strengths and weaknesses.

Lithium batteries are made of small individual cells, sure they're great - used and charged correctly - but deplete them below the minimum low point and the batteries are finished, over charge them and like AGM batteries they toast so you have to use an inverter with a variable charge algorithm and set them up properly. I don't know what systems detect bad cells, my inverters don't have that ability. I guess you have to keep an eye on your voltages.

L/A are more forgiving, yes, you have to set them up properly but they aren't as critical as lithium. I've been running Rolls for about 10 years now, but I only use them when the grid is down and for this application they're fine, in fact I think lithium batteries might even be overkill for me, I'll see when these quit which batteries are the better choice. I like AGM batteries in off grid/intertie systems. No maintenance and low usage, but they are costly for what you get so lithium might be a better choice.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote