View Single Post
Old 02-13-15, 10:56 PM   #27
ryanwc
Lurking Renovator

The result of using about $1 of unfaced fiberglass wound around roughly 14" of pipe at the connection to the water heater, and then wrapping that in foil tape leftover from another project, was that the water was warm after about 270 oz. down the drain, vs. 318 oz. last night prior to the mini-project. (The pipe was already insulated with foam for another 20 feet, but with that 1-foot gap at the heater, the down-time heat that leaks up out of the heater was simply being lost, and the rest of the pipe would cool fairly quickly once a use was over.)

It'll have a bigger percentage impact on the kitchen sink, which is closer to the water heater, and may also have a bigger impact in uses that come within 15 minutes of each other, since the pipe should stay warmer longer.

It'll have more of an impact on my time than my budget by letting me step in the shower sooner, wash a dish sooner, etc. But it'll also pay for itself.

Thanks, xringer, for the word of caution. I'll keep an eye on it, but I don't think it could get that hot.
ryanwc is offline   Reply With Quote