View Single Post
Old 12-24-11, 12:29 PM   #12
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/TemperatureDeparture/usa.jpg

the 2 week forecast for boston is 40's way above average for winter..

only two days has the high been lower than 40 so far this cold season, usually that number would be 30
I hope it's in the 40s! It would make the season more enjoyable for me..
(And worse for people who love to ski, or do spin-outs in the mall parking lot)..

Is it man-made, or La Nina made?

"La Nina effect

The mild weather results in part from a phenomenon known as La Nina, a region of colder-than-usual area of water that pops up periodically in the Pacific Ocean. La Nina and its counterpart El Nino, a warmer-than-normal area of water, both alter the path of the jet stream that pushes weather systems across North America.

The strong La Nina in place last winter sent the jet stream on a southerly path, which opened the Midwest to colder air and snow from the north. At the same time, a phenomenon called arctic oscillation funneled even colder air from Santa’s neighborhood at the North Pole.

The result was the 12th coldest and second snowiest December on record.

La Nina had been predicted to be strong again this December, which led to the forecast of another cold and snowy winter. It was not to be.

“It fizzled,” Angel said.

Schaffer said the arctic oscillation is working in the opposite direction this year, forcing cold air over the top of the world and onto Siberia.

Read more: Let it rain? Predictions of harsh, snowy winter fizzle