View Single Post
Old 09-10-13, 08:00 AM   #42
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default TDI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
An EV would certainly help end some people's end of the month finances, but not mine. Rather than go that route, I have TDI's in my driveway. Took me 5 years and the roll over of my wife's 4Runner to convince my wife that a TDI would suite her needs just fine. After 6 years driving her TDI, you have to pry the keys out of her hands. She got sideswiped at a filling station a few years ago, and was without her Jetta for a week. She couldn't give that Ford Escape (rental) back fast enough as she watched her $$$ vaporize at every stop light and on-ramp. Three months into my wife's TDI, we did a road trip from FL to Maine and back: averaged 47mpg. The week after that vacation, my boss told me to go find a TDI to replace the Explorer I was driving 62 miles per day! I put 90k on the company TDI before I handed in the keys. Before I left that job, I picked up a used TDI wagon for my own daily driving. I got into it for under $6k, and only put $64/mo into it for fuel... (one fillup, 650 miles per tank!)

RE: Smoking, they were pushing $5/pack for the cheap stuff last I looked. I used to work with some pack-a-day guys who complained quite vocally when they raised taxes $1/pack.

Rather than complain about the need to build more fossil fuel plants or add more reactors to the alternatives, I simply did what my POCO did and built a renewable energy plant of my own (4.4kW). You can't tell me PV doesn't make sense in America when my own POCO has 35 megawatts of PV running, and a 75 megawatt solar thermal facility...
Where2,
The Germans swear that the TDI's are better than the hybrids. Simpler and cheaper to run. I don't know, I'd like to see the cost analysis for 100k miles. I do know that once electrics get some issues worked out, they will walk away with transportation.
One thing that's nice about the diesels (and electrics) is the torque curve. I like cars and trucks with broad torque curves, much nicer to drive.

The only thing I heard about the VW's is the repairs can kill you and they don't have great repair records although you might have a better idea about this owning a couple over a long time.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote