View Single Post
Old 09-25-14, 11:37 AM   #32
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgottapee View Post
And unfortunately not as avail and pricey. I'd like to use it too and Menard here started to carry it, but it's almost 4 times fiberglass price. Even more than the expensive denim batting.
Mineral wool is the same price of fiberglass where I live.

Quote:
Any reason you didn't just buy one of the foam spray tank kits and do a 1 or 2" spray underneath?? It's about a $1 a board foot. Might require some planning to move the tanks timely to prevent clogging.
I think that possibly might have been the best way to go, now that I have done all this. The EPS is about $.38 per board foot. Plus, my son (William Hackerson) is really struggling to find a job and pay rent, etc. so this is something of a public works project for him.

Quote:
And I'm confused by the radiant barrier, I thought it was suppose to go on the warm side(floor) of the air space to prevent heat radiation through the air gap??
I'm pretty sure that you need an air gap between the radiating surface and the reflective material. I've seen recommendations of 1/2 inch to 1 inch. But the wavelength of IR is very short (< 1 mm), so I think that the gap can be small.

-AC