View Single Post
Old 06-29-17, 01:17 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Storm came through, flooded basement, large tree down

We had a storm roll through last night. It would be interesting to hear how high of wind speeds we had, because there was a good amount of damage done around the neighborhood. I came home from church to find the power out. So, I go and check and sure enough the basement got a good start on flooding. It was probably 4 inches or so of water. I tried to rig up a deep cycle battery system with a power inverter I have. I've done this before, but apparently the inverter is shot. It would arc as soon as I hooked up 12V power to it, and it blew the fuses. So, I called up my in laws and borrowed their generator. It ran the sump pump until it emptied the crock. This took about an hour, and then I went to bed. The rain had died down and it was after midnight at that point. I figured I would be waking up to a few inches of water in the basement again, and I was right. I fired up the generator again and let it pump the water out. This time it only took about a half hour. I also plugged in the fridge to cool it back down. Today about mid morning I get a text from my wife that the power was back on. Yay!

This is the 3rd time the basement has flooded in 9 years now. I'm really thinking I should come up with something to deal with it... Ideas are welcome!

Now, it is clean up day when I get home. This is what I'll be chopping up tonight. Thankfully, it didn't do too much damage. The gutter is obviously going to be a bit mangled, and it ripped off some drip lip, but I don't think there is any structural damage. The windows are fine.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote