View Single Post
Old 08-24-13, 08:40 PM   #5
jeff88
Lots of questions

Thanks for the replies guys. I wanted to check and notate all of the circuits before we moved in, but with packing, moving, unpacking being the priority, that didn't happen. The reason why I don't want to be shutting everything down is because there are 4 other people in the house and we all have different and somewhat eratic schedules. I also have certain things to worry about like if something is recording on the DVR, or if someones computer is on without files being saved. If some of the other people in the house happen to take a weekend trip, I will definitely make sure they shutdown sensitive items so I can do the project.

@hamsterpower: That was the plan, even though it will take a while (maybe my girlfriend can help me out). I like the drawing a house plan, then I can tape to the inside of the circuit breaker box door for later reference.

@where2: I like that idea. I think I might do a modified version of that for now. When that circuit blows again, I'll mark which breaker it is and leave it off while I go and try turning a night light on at the suspected outlets.

@herlichka: I didn't realize the complexities of the tester, I think I'll scrap that idea. Unfortunately, even though it may be a minor job (especially since one member of the household is an electrician), we are renting, so we can only do so much. It would be really nice and probably safer, but we will have to work with the landlord (don't get me wrong, that is possible, they're not like what you think of when you hear 'landlord'). The chances are pretty high for split receptacles. I know there at least two in two different bedrooms. Not sure of the quality of work that was done unfortunately.
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote