View Single Post
Old 06-08-10, 12:41 AM   #1
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Default New rain barrels:)

This year we wanted to expand our 1-barrel rain catchment system (fancy name), but the company I'd bought the first used 220-liter barrel from went bankrupt I saw they still had a few on the lot, but the security guy told me it'll be months or years before the court orders everything to be auctioned off. Fortunately, I found someone with a bunch of identical barrels in my part of town, so I drove up there and bought as many as I could fit in the car (3). Here they are next to the first barrel:

The first barrel previously had some cosmetics in it, so it took a while to get rid of the residue, the new ones had pickles in them. Yeah, they reek, especially after standing in the hot sun all day. The one of the lids popped open when I was driving yesterday and open windows didn't help! At home I noticed they were already rinsed, but I washed them again (with rain water) and left them to dry. This morning the smell isn't that bad, I hope the neighbors don't notice.

This week I hope to get at least one of them hooked up to the existing rain barrel. The other two will wait until I redo our gutters - we have only 2 downpipes (one front, one back, and the front isn't available for catchment), I'd like to add another 2, so there's one on each corner of the house.

Attached Images

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote