View Single Post
Old 03-23-12, 07:38 AM   #1200
Ko_deZ
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
You can give many examples when "good design and good reputation of durability" brought very good companies to bankruptcy. Just because somebody knew how to BS more people.
True, but that would be screwing up your reputation. I was talking about the loads of companies that has a good reputation, and keeps it by delivering good quality systems. They do consider aesthetics as well as efficiency as they know that a huge ugly thing will not sell as much as a small neat thing. This is also why the in-door units have a centrifugal fans, they are more noisy than a normal fan, but they take up a lot less space, and fits the purpose of having a long and thin heat exchanger, and thus sell more. Most of us DIY guys do not have that requirement to the same extent.
Quote:
This is the point. Do you know many people who is willing to pay extra 2000-3000 $$$ for extra efficiency that is tested only in lab environment? When did you check copper prices last time? HX especially monster size like Bras_C is installing cost A LOT OF $$$.
2000$ extra for slightly larger heat exchangers? I don't think so. Example:
air cooled condenser with aluminum plate fin foil and can custom made products, buy air cooled condenser with aluminum plate fin foil and can custom made products from alibaba.com
And I can guarantee that the heat pump producers get a whole different price than we do. Of course, the price would be increased more than the cost, but still, they will not do it, not because of efficiency but because of aesthetics.
Quote:
Check the first post where AC stated the goal. He started this thread as DIY BUDGET FOCUSED. WSHP became VERY EXPENSIVE gadget for no reason just because it is "special". He broke this myth by building his GSHP from NOTHING.
You are missing my point. My point was not bang for the buck, it was that it will always be better with larger heat exchangers when it comes to efficiency. Yes, they get more expensive, but when you DIY, you can often get hold of some used parts cheaply or free. As long as you set up your system correctly, having larger heat exchangers will be more efficient.
Ko_deZ is offline   Reply With Quote