View Single Post
Old 12-10-16, 06:21 PM   #68
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Chevy Volt battery

Creeky

Yep made some very good progress. Both Chevy Volt packs are in. I had some trouble with the DIY motor controller and that kept me scratching my head for a few weeks. I'm happy to report that issue is wrestled to the ground.

In the photos is the installed pack. Painted and sealed ready for action. I like to utilize aircraft hardware, nutplates and other fasteners just seem more user friendly and robust. (better for mantainance) The large connector with the 1/2 twist lock is used for aircraft batteries, that will handle some current!! The truck box was re-installed and all is back to original condition.

The truck was introduced in 1997 along with the famed EV-1. As it rolled of the assembly line it had a lead acid pack at 16Kwh and 1400 lbs. (a true lead sled) This was later up-dated with a Nimh pack at 29Kwhs and 1043Lbs.

Today the numbers are Lithium Ion at 34Kwh and 875Lbs.

Couldn't resist went for a little drive. The parameters for the motor controller are yet to be tuned. Sounds funny tuning an electric motor.??

Its kinda spooky backing out of the garage with absolutely no sound.

The truck is currently charging to ready for tomorrow for a couple hours of tuning the parameters. THEN maybe some rubber toasting.

Randen
Attached Images

Last edited by randen; 12-10-16 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Corrected battery weights
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
creeky (12-10-16), pinballlooking (12-10-16), Roostre (12-10-16), where2 (12-10-16)