View Single Post
Old 01-12-12, 02:42 PM   #3
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
So the only argument I can see for keeping it after the filter is this:
Without any chlorine in the water the filter medium is an ideal breading ground for bacteria, having a UV system post filter will concentrate the dose to the water you are using. What about this?
Then you are getting your infinite dose, and the water being used has just been sent through the system. I forgot to draw the filters before the intake of the UV.
I am not sure I understand your drawing. No, in fact, I am sure I don't understand it Lower right is the UV filter, the big tank is the rainwater tank?

You are right, it is a dilemma. The UV filter will be doing most bang for the buck in the tank, keeping the source of the water itself bacteria and virus free (not entirely, but keeping it to a minimum) - before they grow too much. However, the downstream filters could contain bacteria, and no matter how clean the water in the tank is, it could be infected as it pass the carbon filter.

So ideally, if money was not an issue, there would be a UV filter in both the tank, and trailing the particle/carbon filters, although this is an extra cost.

I am still hunting the best solution. Sometimes there is something more simple, which is better, cheaper, smarter, than the complicated solution. It must, however, solve several problems in order to work.

Pinhead, I hope you could elaborate more on your drawing, thanks