View Single Post
Old 12-05-10, 04:33 PM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

It was 100 feet total of sill box and two crawl spaces with a total of around 65 feet of foundation wall to spray, going up a foot to a foot and a half on the stone wall, stone wall they tend to bid higher because it's uneven.
Our bid, for just for the foam and not for the vent fan or vaporer on the dirt of the crawl space was around $950, so it seemed like a really good price because before we got this bid I was looking at the Do It Yourself two part foam kits cost about a $1.15 per board foot, so to give us the 2" thickness we wanted it would be $2.30 per square foot, I figure we ended up with about 400 square feet of area to cover because of the convoluted shapes that they had to go around, so we could have done it for the same price, only they used a setup using 55 gallon drums of the two part foam with a heater for the foam so it sets up correctly and flows consistently, their setup also had compressed air to blow dust and dirt out of the way, add to that the coveralls, goggles, gloves and most of all with their bulk setup there is no waste where if I order it and run out with 3 square feet left to do then what do I do?
I also found out from talking to other people about it that the kits tend to fail as you empty them so you never get 100% out unless you do have a way to keep them warm (they cool as you empty) and altho I enjoy doing alot of things my self, there are some things that I would rather, even if it takes 3 months, be able to call them up and tell them that it is not done right and that they need to come back and fix it or we are not paying.

We did do our attic our selves, air sealing then blown in cellulose, that is not hard to do and we saved a fair amount of money doing the attic, for the air sealing I bought a Great Stuff Pro foam gun, takes 20-24 ounce cans of one part foam, has a pistol grip, a nice long dispenser tip where the valve is so there is nothing to clog and allows you to use 100% of the can or save it for months without worry of it drying up on you, much much better then the single use cans that you normally see, the pro gun also holds up well enough that I would be willing to loan it to friends, so it can be a worth while investment if you plan to do alot of sealing.

Even with the cost and how long it took it seems well worth it, our floors are warmer, our basement is warmer, less of a chance for rodents and bugs to get in and best of all our furnace is not coming on as much.

Last edited by Ryland; 12-05-10 at 04:45 PM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote