View Single Post
Old 03-31-14, 12:54 AM   #72
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
...The other issue is with the whole cardboard method described above. If it had separate fans indoors and out, I could match fan speeds to temperature conditions. Unfortunately, both fans are tied to opposite sides of the same motor. I can live with this for the time being (maybe forever). I don't really see an easy way around this issue to make it automatic...
I'm amazed at how much use and value you have gotten out of your hack!

Now, I think that one of those portable heat pumps would be an interesting hack.

I have a 12,000 BTU one I got for free from Craig's List, just needed a starting cap.

The way it's built, the upper unit, with its condenser/evaporator and fan, could be fairly easily separated from the lower unit which has all that stuff, too. you'd have to hacksaw through some angle iron, clip some wires and solder in extensions, and make up your own line-set.

What you'd end up with could be a DIY minisplit. My unit even has a remote control. Can't beat that for fanciness!

You could run your line set through a narrow window opening, so you wouldn't need to drill through a wall.

Having the compressor and large blower outside, not acoustically coupled to the house is such a milestone.

Best,

-AC