View Single Post
Old 04-30-14, 08:06 PM   #10
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
You could try Civic Solar, but coming from an employee of a solar company, I have to recommend using a certified company, especially if you are looking to do a grid-tied system.
It is possible to design and install your own grid-tie system and NOT have it look any different than a professionally designed and installed system, other than the price tag. According to the structural and electrical inspectors who inspected my install multiple times during my install process, they actually prefer my workmanship and choice of materials (like junction boxes and roof brackets) over the "professional" installs they have inspected around the city. Before I could even apply for a permit from my local building department, my electrical design (three line diagram, drawn by me in autocad) was required to be submitted and reviewed by a professional electrical engineer who does nothing but review PV designs for the State of Florida. He commented that I did better on my grounding design than many of the licensed electrical contractors who submit PV designs in Florida. (every grid-tie design in Florida has to come through his office to gain a valid State of Florida PV design certification #).

Is reading and understanding the NEC cumbersome just to design your own PV system? Yes it is. However, I know the PV system on my roof like the back of my hand including where and why every Wiley clip and GEC clamp is on it. I also have a much better understanding of the allowable uses for TC-ER and UF cable types than I did before I designed my own system.

It isn't for everyone, but it is possible.

Last edited by where2; 04-30-14 at 08:08 PM..
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (05-01-14)