View Single Post
Old 11-05-09, 04:35 AM   #6
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Where's the argument for bottled water again?
You're travelling, you've got an 8 hour train/plane ride ahead of you, so you buy a bottle of water at the train station/airport. (I know, I know: with recent security measures you can't take more than 100ml or 200ml of liquids, but I'm still in the good ol' days.)

As for tap water: I've been drinking it for the last few years and have hardly drunk from a bottle for the last 6-8 months. Dad-in-law recently bought one of those Britta filters for filtering tap water before boiling it! And I'm drinking straight from the faucet. Anyway, the Wife and I had a talk with him, after which we checked our water quality on the utility's webpage. Warsaw filters its water from the river, but our neighborhood has a deep well for about 1000 homes. The quality of our water is three times better than the rest of the city and is compareable to bottled spring water. We don't need a filter. Of course, the water for the rest of the city is also within limits for safe drinking.

About 6-7 years ago a local law was passed which stated that every liquid product, available in a disposable bottle, must also be available in a returnable container. It never got off the ground. For a short time I saw milk in a glass bottle (only one company), but it was not returnable. The others never showed. The companies complained that they can't have products in returnable containers as there is no infrastructure for collecting, the cost of production will be so high they will lose money, people don't want returnable bottles and won't buy them, etc., etc. All a bunch of BS, since they didn't even try, so how would they know? I've heard that other countries (Holland, Switzerland) have returnable container programs which work quite well, so it's not like the technology has to be researched from the ground up. As far as I know, the law hasn't been killed, it's just forgotten: nobody enforces it so nobody obeys it. Sort of like speed limits
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote