View Single Post
Old 09-04-13, 08:14 AM   #1559
stevehull
Steve Hull

AC,

I frequent the scrap yards and I am amazed at the "scrap" copper that only has a marginal kink, dent or bend. Yes, I certainly do advocate using the best cost material that can be found.

The concept of the Iron Lady is FANTASTIC!! I certainly chuckled when I saw it. And yes, the electric powered Pannani iron is also clever. After a few tries, you got it working - which is the goal.

But what about my brother, who can't recall "righty tighty, lefty loosey" with a socket wrench? Not everyone has the time, brains or initiative to do it as has been you and others as described here.

But without large subsidies, loop fields, equipment AND installation, geothermal heat pumps are a long stretch for $6,000 USA.

I can tell you that a 2.5 ton Waterfurnace unit wholesales for about 1/2 that of the "retail" price. And as more are sold, they become a commodity rather than a select item.

Here is an interesting approach on loops by a city close to me.

In Edmond, OK, the local electric (city owned) company is considering putting in vertical ground loops in city lots and tacking the cost (no interest) over 30 years onto the deed (800 feet total, four loops). The amount $20-25 per month is not much more than the trash fee . . . It is felt that this approach can get more residential owner to go with geothermal heat pumps.

Here, the summer peak load for electricity is some 3 times that of the winter peak and the utility has to purchase power based on the yearly peak. Thus by "leveling the curve" the city saves money by decreasing summer AC costs.

The customer saves $, the cost of augmenting electrical distribution infrastructure is lowered and the city saves $. Win, win, win . . . .

Increasingly, here in central OK, we are on large scale wind power with natural gas back up and then coal as a further base. But as the costs of coal increase, the mix will be more and more that of wind and gas.

As individuals, it is hard for us to control costs, but we can do everything to maximize the kWhr costs with rational use of energy.

Steve
buffalobillpatrick (06-23-14), charlesfl (09-04-13)