View Single Post
Old 04-10-15, 09:36 PM   #2
where2
DIY Geek

Do it, and don't look back! I've got 4.4kW on my roof: (20) Enphase M215 + Evergreen 220W (poly) panels. The system generates 6MWh/yr at 26.8°N. I designed and installed it entirely as a DIY system. I've already got another 4.6kW Enphase system that I will be installing sometime this summer using M215 + 235W (mono) panels at 45.8°N.

Living in South Florida and having the sunshine essentially pay for my A/C to run year round made sense to me. If you need pointers, feel free to ask. It literally is as simple as you think, assuming you have at least enough space to fit a double pole breaker into your panel.

In my case, I paralleled the two circuits of 10 panels each from the second floor roof to the ground level using 10/3 UF-B (90°C insulation), then used a Square-D QO 100A "sub-panel" to house two 15A breakers acting as a solar combiner panel. The solar combiner panel feeds a 30A double pole breaker in my meter/service entrance panel.

If you have to replace your main panel, be sure to get a 200A main panel. The NEC limits allowable backfeed into a panel, and you certainly don't want to have to upgrade the main panel again if you later decide to add another string of solar panels on the roof.

Consult with your local building officials before you start your design and be sure to ask if they will be changing which version of the NEC they follow in the near future. Also consult with your local electric utility and determine what additional requirements they may have to install a grid-tied PV system.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote