View Single Post
Old 04-05-14, 07:04 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

MN Renovator asked me to do some flow and temperature testing on my 1.25 gpm niagara showerhead with the stiebel eltron DHC-E 10 on demand hot water heater I have.

First, the flow test was done. I found the niagara 1.25 gpm showerhead actually uses .77 gpm @ 58 psi. To test this, I took an ice cream bucket and filled it with a gallon of water, and marked that spot on the bucket. Then, I used a timer and filled the bucket to the gallon mark. One minute and 18 seconds later, the water hit the mark. This gives us .77 GPM. I also checked my pressure tank's pressure gauge and it read 58 psi before and after the test. I will note that my showerhead has been in use for a while now. It is quite possible that there is some build up on it and that this has reduced flow a bit. However, I don't think that this is a huge factor. I also believe the 1.25 gpm (and other ratings for showerheads) are done at 80 psi. If you compensate for the 58 psi, that would give you .9 gpm @ 58 psi. Perhaps the remaining .13 gpm flow loss is due to build up? In any case, that is what it flows.

The other test I did was to see how hot the water was coming out of the showerhead. There was some doubt that the DHC-E 10 would be enough to heat the water hot enough for his showers which he likes quite hot (and apparently so do I). I again filled the bucket with some water coming out of the showerhead and hit it with my IR thermometer. It read 120F after things settled down. This is after probably about a 30-35ft run from my water heater to the showerhead. Most all of it is insulated, and most of it is also 1/2" pex tubing. So, there shouldn't be a ton of heat loss. I also have a single handle shower control. I KNOW the dumb thing mixes in some cold water. I have adjusted it to negate this as much as possible, but I know for a fact there is still cold water being mixed in as I've turned it all the way to hot, and then turned a ball valve off to the hot water line. There was still a decent amount of water coming out when I did this.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote