View Single Post
Old 07-25-11, 01:36 PM   #7
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

It's been forever since I've updated this. It's been 282 days since I started recording this data. During this time I've done

216 cold water loads
35 hot water loads

193 loads went in the dryer
38 went on the clothes line
13 needed partial dryer runs to finish what the clothes line started.

So the dryer is obviously heavily used and looking at the numbers it uses more power then the cold water saves. Still by my calculations the cold water has saved me 378.5 kwh and the clothes line has saved me 85.8 kwh which in total has saved me $35.75

I started recording in mid/late Fall and we had a brutal spring so the clothes line usage being so low isn't unexpected. It has been used 22 times in the last two months accounting for 52% of the loads. summer only really got here this last week so hopefully I'll get that close to 90% for the next month or so.

All of this laundry has cost me $42.09 in electricity using 546.58 kwh so I haven't quite saved 50% yet. Still I find the effort of using the clothes line minor in the grand scheme of things and I quite enjoy the process of hanging it.

I've also used an estimated 7321 gallons of water. That is taken from some where that averaged what my machine uses per load. The actual number could be quite different.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote