View Single Post
Old 08-24-15, 10:33 AM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormston View Post
I think windows 10 is heading in the right direction after the abomination of win 8/8.1, but they should have waited until it was ready before releasing...
All good feedback.

On my upgrade, everything, media player, browser, etc. is infested with user-tracking and advertising. I have found that by following the advice I posted previously (and more that I need to post) it is possible to reduce that.

Also, the invasion of privacy, as stated in the 12,000 word user agreement, is absolutely chilling. I am still working on turning off as much of that as I can. It is even required, to turn off some of the newer features that are intriguing, in order to ensure privacy. But even if you do all that, is it really secure?

The user agreement says very clearly, that they are going to search your computer and its contents, and all the computers on your network, and if they find anything illegal, they will not act upon it themselves, but will turn you over to the local authorities. Orwell couldn't have dreamed up anything as monstrous as this.

In my opinion, the user agreement in Win_10 is the clearest possible expression of the intent of corporations and their declared relationship with the police state. It is also a clear statement of the extent of intrusion of corporate interests. Having averts infest the content of your browser is a real drag, but having your private computer activities continuously monitored, and having the adverts operating inside your operating system, is a whole new level of horrible.

It may be possible to reduce the adverts by purchasing and installing a new copy of Win_10. But that does nothing to address the declared intention to monitor all of your behavior and assess the entire content of your computer and all of the machines connected to your network, and to turn you over to the authorities.

This is the best reason I have ever seen to abandon commercial operating systems (Apple, too) and go open source ASAP, And to use encryption internally and externally and to use a VPN when doing anything on the Internet.

BTW, by removing as many of the intrusive apps as I could, and by turning off all of the 'features' that I could, I have significantly improved the performance of this little computer... privacy concerns are still an issue.

Best,

-AC