View Single Post
Old 05-06-20, 09:24 AM   #12
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Maytag split system

You commented on reliability, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

In early July 2013, after getting a home energy audit, I was told to add 5" of insulation in my attic and I would be good to drop from our oversized 3 ton unit to a 2 ton split system. Without the extra insulation, I would need a 2.5 ton unit. Ten inches of insulation later (if 5" is good, 10" must be better) our SEER 19 variable speed compressor, variable speed blower motor split system was installed. The HSPF is over 10, but I don't remember the exact figure. About a month ago, we had our first problem with the unit. It was trying to kick on, but didn't do it as normal. After a few tries, it kicked on at a higher power setting than normal. The repairman came and checked it, finding the blower motor inside was bad. He said the odd noises we heard while it tried to kick on was the control unit sending the start pulse to the blower and then pausing when the blower didn't start. He said it was a fail-safe of sorts to protect the unit. We paid under $200.00 for the entire test and blower motor replacement.

We are well pleased with this HVAC unit. {BTW, our indoor half of the split system is installed over our attached garage and the duct work is in our attic. }
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasstingy For This Useful Post:
Wanna Beco (05-06-20)