View Single Post
Old 07-16-14, 09:37 AM   #6
stevehull
Steve Hull

Pat,

Excellent points.

Attached is a link to the low cost controller I purchased. The information on this E-bay link describes the controller.

To your point of connecting it to the battery, this is exactly what I did to give power to the gate controller board (after the controller power output died). Although I did measure the gate opening current (Fluke meter) at ~2.5 amp, it can't "see" spikes which likely did in the controller output. Excellent point on the 10X transient (I knew this, but it didn't register at the time of purchase).

The controller does not have a fuse, but the main circuit board for the Apollo gate opening does (15 amp). It did not blow.

The reason for the controller is to prevent night time back feed to the PV panel, prevent overcharging of the battery and to give me a visual indication of the battery charge state (series of LEDs that progressively show battery charge) and the integrity of the PV panel (green light when charging).

The deep cycle marine type battery is expensive and I felt an $11 "investment" to help assist the battery would be worth while. Previously, I just used a blocking diode to prevent night time drain into the PV panel.

Thanks!

Steve

12V 24V 5 10 15 20 30A PWM Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller | eBay

Last edited by stevehull; 07-16-14 at 09:46 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote