View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 03:55 PM   #10
doug30293
Too Many Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Personally I think that we have become slaves to tumbling electric clothes dryers... they beat our clothes into lint particles (thus shortening the life of clothing) and they waste a huge amount of energy. What exactly is there to recommend them?
-AC
Well, for starters, most folks don't like the scratchy stiffness of line dried clothes. That being said, DW and I both prefer line drying as it triples the life of cotton fabric and saves money.

Where2 is correct in that line drying outside is a problem in the south. We tried and gave up due to humidity, bugs, and pollen. The hornet that came in with my pillow cases and nailed me at 2AM was the final blow.

Indoor drying takes up space but we have more than enough. Last year I put a box fan in the area where we hang clothes. It is tipped up at about 45 degrees into the clothes and runs on low (about 60W).

The fan cuts drying time to less than half and completely eliminates any musty smell. The added moisture is a bonus in the winter. The AC gets the moisture in the summer.

I suggest trying the box fan if drying indoors. The difference is amazing.
doug30293 is offline   Reply With Quote