View Single Post
Old 09-13-13, 06:33 PM   #4
where2
DIY Geek

How many million candlepower are you bringing with the fire brigade that they can electrify a firefighter by shining light on the panels? Panel output is related to the intensity of the illumination directly on the panel.

I did the experiment last week after the fire took place: 0.02A at 16V per panel (from a 235W monocrystalline panel) with a 50W light located an average of 7 feet from the panel.

Any panel not being equally illuminated begins to act as a resistor when wired in a series string of panels...

"It took 29 hours to put out the blaze". I guarantee some of that time was between sunset and sunrise, so the only source of light would have been from the responders themselves.

You want to fight a fire on a roof with panels during the daylight. Foam the panels. That's right, spray that same foamy stuff they spray on a chemical fire on the panels. I'm sure the output from the panels will drop dramatically even on a clear day! The output from my panels drops like a rock when I get a passing rain cloud. Even overcast days drops my panel output dramatically.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote