View Single Post
Old 04-24-16, 04:20 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

You lose capacity? I specifically ran my air conditioner [non-TXV, uses a piston orifice] when it was at the coldest point of the night as long as it was 60 degrees or warmer and it would always condense more. ..which I equated with a colder evaporator which would mean higher latent capacity and I'd figure higher total capacity. There were a few nights where it was colder than the forecast and it got to 55 degrees and it froze the coil and the lineset back to the condensor. ..whoops, but the recip compressor survived. I should rig in a low ambient kit or at least a sensor that shuts things down if the liquid line gets below 40 degrees or so. The bonus is also the reduced power draw with a colder condensing coil. I thought these were good things as long as the evaporator coil doesn't freeze up and/or liquid refrigerant returns to the compressor.

I'd figure if you've got higher flow over the condenser coils, it is effectively like having a larger coil. Larger coils are a part of higher SEER systems because they use less energy to perform the same or more heat exchange. If there is a higher flow AND the system is using less energy, I'm seeing this as a win-win.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote