View Single Post
Old 05-29-11, 03:03 PM   #7
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Must be spring!

Time to fire up the grill. Corn was on sale at the grocery store for the Memorial Day weekend.

It has been raining all day. I set the grill on the ground, just off my covered back porch.

Part of the design of the rocket grill is that a stock pot sits right inside. I recently found a stainless steel stock pot at the thrift store for $4. This is the one that it won't matter if it gets left in the rain or covered with soot!

I usually use fry twigs or scrap wood in the rocket grill, but since it was raining, any of that would have been wet. Instead, I still had some cedar scraps from the winter firewood pile on the back porch, so cedar it was!

After lighting the stove, it took about 15 minutes to get a stock pot of cold water up to a rolling boil.

Then I threw the corn in. I kept the lid on the stock pot as well as the stove lid on top. At first, I was worried about rain running into the stove and killing the flame, but once the grill was hot enough, rain water just vaporized off the lid!

The stove also now has a lovely rust patina on it since last time you may have seen it.

In this photo, you can see how much of the stove is still under the eave of the roof.

Corn Boiling...

If you look to the left of the corn, that's all steam coming off it. This is several minutes after pulling the corn out of the water.

Corn seems to be the best/easiest thing to make on the stove. I still plan to eventually make a wok for it. The stove makes a high heat very fast - perfect for wok-style cooking.

I would also like to figure out what I would need to do to bake pizzas in it!

It's fun to be able to cook like this. Not that it displaces a TON of electricity or natural gas, but it is net carbon neutral! It's also good to know that if there was a long-term power outage, I would still have the ability to cook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote