View Single Post
Old 04-10-17, 01:30 PM   #1
slippy
Helper EcoRenovator

Default High-SEER mini splits instead of WSHP?

I've had problems with my well drilling. While I COULD get a fair amount of sustained flow by starting over and going with a 4" diameter casing (to get an ejector inside) or 6" diameter (for a submersible pump), I'd have to ignore several local and state regulations of which I was previously unaware.

I've also noticed that it seems like mini split heat pumps now offer EERs that absolutely rival what I thought I'd be able to do with water-source geothermal.

I'm shopping and looking, but figured there's got to be folks here that have already done all that legwork, who could perhaps save me some time, and save me from making some buying mistakes.

My total desired heating and cooling tonnage is 7. I have no real preference as to how this is broken up. Cost may largely dictate this, but I should be able to get decent airflow throughout the building (using the existing HVAC blowers if I must) with about any setup -- just a couple of units, or something like 10.

I haven't completely given up on going with a water-source heat pump (or adding a water-refrigerant heat exchanger in line with my existing ASHP). By the time I'd pay for the mini-splits, I might just be better off sticking with lower efficiency. BUT, I really need to be looking at all my options.

So, what are your mini-split thoughts and recommendations?

slippy is offline   Reply With Quote