View Single Post
Old 04-04-15, 12:49 PM   #108
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default 5 ton GSHP

Jeff5may

Thanks for your kind words. I have to also thank others like AC_Hacker that started me (us) down this road. Who would have thought you can build your own.???

I pulled out the electric bills and spread sheet. The period of time before Geothermal heat for the shop and for the same months Nov to Mar inc. The shop used 7340 kwhs more this season. This figure seems quite accurate for three seasons.

Now we have to adjust this amount and estimate for a shop that was extremely busy for this March and the brutal sub-zero gail force north wind. My first attempt 2.0 ton would have never kept the frost off the shop this year!!!

The cost for the extra consumption is 7340*$0.22=$1614.80 for electric.
I would adjust this for an extra busy shop-$500.00 for the period.
This would mean a heating bill of $1100.00

However even if the heating was $1600.00 its still excellent as oil heat would be well north of $3000.00 So easily half the cost.

Personally; I wrestle with the time and efforts made to assemble my system. And a wrestle it was!!! I know now if I had applied my efforts and time to my daytime job I could have easily bought a commercial HP. Warranty, tested, who knows possibly a little more efficient????

I would support anyone that would take it on. Maybe with some hard earned advice and "luck" they could build a unit and save a lot of bucks

As pointed out further action of more insulation and sealing the shop would indeed help the case. So so many things to consider. My wife is in my corner when it comes to renewables. I have a green light if it comes to solar or wind generation. A pergola with a PV canopy, stainless tube construction, the CAD drawing is made and a quote for the materials is on file..!!!

Good news if anyone has been following, the electric truck has started to show some life. The 3rd generation of controller is turning the tires. A test drive is not far off now!!! The feeling that its now possible to be off the fossil fuel tit is amazing. Just yesterday gasoline went from $0.99/Ltr to $1.06/Ltr

I hate having the gun to the head. What will the price be tomorrow.

Randen

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 04-05-15 at 09:18 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote