View Single Post
Old 01-06-15, 06:53 PM   #88
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default 5 Ton GSHP Build

Its been a couple months and I apologize I needed to wrap up on the final disclosure on the build of the 5 ton for those who wish. A bit of life got in the way.

However the 5 ton is humming away nicely. There are a couple of details that need to be addressed. The safety controls for preventing a frozen evaporator and high and low pressures.

The loop coolant is now protected to -12 Deg. C. It needs a further infusion of more propylene glycol however at this concentration a temp of -18 produces a slush which won't expand and split things.

I had 2 pesky weepy leaks one of which I took care of while I had added more propylene glycol. The second one is in a place that I'll need to remove the unit and disassemble to get at. I had pressure tested the system but somehow it had eluded me. Like I have been saying this thing is fighting me all the way.!

This last weepy leak is so small it evaporates on the heated floor. Oh well this spring I get that little bugger!!

The night temps here have been dropping to -12 to -16 with strong winds and to-nite is -18 forecasted. The DIY 5 Ton is keeping the shop comfortable at 18 Deg.C and running at about 70-80% duty cycle.

The variable frequency drive is delivering full 5 Ton at these cold O/S temps.

I had it dialed back to about 3 ton and it ran non stop to maintain the shop temp.

The loop temps are now 7 Deg.C in and 3.6 Deg.C out to the loop. The air handler is receiving 42 Deg.C. warming the shop.

In the photos you will see the small pressure switches that will protect the system with pressure extremes and a cold control that will protect the evaporator from a complete freeze-up. Oh yes the photo of the weepy leak. I think the DIY GSHP is just marking its territory.

Randen

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 01-06-15 at 09:37 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (01-07-15)