View Single Post
Old 11-21-14, 09:42 PM   #78
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default 5 Ton GSHP Build

In Ontario Canada winter is starting to set in. This morning long before my first coffee the thermostat in the shop started the DIY Geothermal heat pump. At exactly 6:00 am the system was call to heat the shop to 20 Deg.C from a set back temp of 16 Deg.C

The Outside temp as seen in the photo is -14.7 Deg. C This wall clock is on the outside wall that has two large garage doors that although are quite effective for keeping the cold at bay. The indicated inside air temp (14Deg C) isn't accurate to the actual shop air temp. The more accurate temp is 17 Deg. C as seen on the thermostat. By about 8:00am the shop is at a comfortable temp to start the day 18-19Deg.C.

The DIY Heat-pump is a success. It's heating the shop quite effectively and in-expensively, 1428 watts, LESS THAN A HAIRDRYER.

How did we get here from there??

The quest started July 2011. If we are going to DIY an Geo-thermal unit we will need a loop field. Lets get the messy stuff done first. With the experience gained with my home GSHP, I had gleaned that I would require 3 Tons of capacity for a not so tight shop. I like to oversize a little for my projects just in-case!! A 4 ton ground loop was installed which or our area is 2400 ft. of HDPE tubing. There is no down side to a little extra tubing in the ground, the system will be a little more efficient. Found tubing at a closing business very reasonably priced. The excavator was able to allow me to install the loop in 2 days.

The tubing is placed in the ground 6 ft. deep and no closer than 16" from the adjacent run.

In the photos you will see the work involved. But without a proper loop field the system will not perform.

Randen

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 11-21-14 at 10:09 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (11-21-14), Daox (11-21-14)