View Single Post
Old 06-22-15, 05:41 PM   #14
Drake
DIY Guy

I thin it overall comes down to the willingness of adjusting to a little change in convenience to live long term with sustainability. Here in my fortunite affluent country few are willing to give up anything in convenience for a little extra cost. On demand DHW has been a expense most have been willing to pay for some time so it doesn't take much inconvenience with a "green" sustainable system for most to abandon them.

Yes, MN does has overall get a lot of solar exposure, but it is like our temps very erratic. Avg is just a concept when trying to survive comfortably the 100 degree F or -40 degree days. Three days without enough sun for hot solar water is something most don't want to live with and if a backup system is added to the cost of the renewable one it is even a harder sell.

The feedback I was able to get over the year for those with solar around me varied greatly from mechanical failures throughout system over the long run, issues with snow removal and difficulties with homes being bought or sold and banks acceptance of the systems. Overall it was the not consistent availability of DHW. as we are in a major city with relative affordable N Gas option which gives very on demand DHW proven over time as compare to much of the world where solar DHW is a proven standard.

I agree with your thoughts on the value of hot water conservation and some lifestyle adjustments as being very beneficial as well as just being 'green". This country is just waking up to the needs of clean water conservation whether it be hot or cold. Thought being from the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes - Minnesota it is still not in short supply.

My input was that here the drain back design function of the systems was for freeze protection. It may really be worth thinking about if a system can be drained back to protect against low temps it might also do the same to protect against high temps if controls are modified.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote