View Single Post
Old 12-01-14, 09:23 PM   #20
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Solar hot water EH?? Maybe PV

Sunspot

Ok we have you thinking now. Don't get us wrong we all speak hillbilly. Nothing wrong with burning wood.!!! Even burning wood in the masonary heater brings this carbon neutral method of staying warm into the new millinium

But as we age, the chainsaw and splitting maule gets a little heavier. As we repeat the behaviour every year, the mind may ring with" I should be working smarter and not harder."

The price of solar PV had prevented me from moving forward with that as opposed to the choice of solar hot water. It was a financial decision of return of investment. (ROI) But today the price being less than $1.00/watt, Bring it on.!!

But you have some other circumstances that whey in. The climate of Victoria makes an split heat-pump (air to air) viable. These HPs are very reasonably priced. (keep in mind the efficiency 3 units heat for 1 Electrical energy)
A solar PV panel will produce a few watts of power (that can be used) in a condition of overcast but a solar hot water will produce nothing usable (ask me how I know)

Now another facet to consider is like pinball to sell the green electrons to the grid at a premium price and buy it back at a reduced rate. Eyeballing the ROI.

It maybe a little heavy to think about, so for your homework check this out, this should make you question a lot of the common practices.

DIY Geothermal Heat Pump + PV System - No Heat Bills!

I totally applaud your reduction on the electrical front. Amazing. $35.00/ month. So this PV powered HP maybe right up your alley.

As you are more than aware all these technologies work and work well. From super insulations and draft sealing to solar hot water, PV, Heat-pumps and the roaring wood fire. We are all looking for the best bang for the buck. It's a human condition.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote