View Single Post
Old 12-01-14, 07:50 PM   #19
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Thanks for clarifying Mikesolar. I'll swap the inlet and outlet ends of the collector(s) from what I was planning to make the return longer providing additional copper buffering pipe before connecting to PEX.

And I'll look for a bronze pump. I don't mind spending the extra where it's warranted.

randen, "What about Solar PV augmenting some heat-pumps with electrical energy... Or better Hack a couple of HP for air to water for the big water storage tank"

Waaaaay too high tech for this hillbilly. I've no doubt those options are better in every way but the woodstove speaks to my level of sophistication. And if it takes electrical energy to operate it will be a hard sell here. We've made a bit of a game of reducing our electrical consumption to the point our bills average $35/month year round. No dishwasher, no clothes dryer, and we cook on the woodstove for half the year. I do leave 8 4' flourescents running 24/7 in the winter months to keep condesation off the machinery in my shop but otherwise we're frugal. And it's not about the money really. More the challenge and an ethic I certainly don't need to preach to you.

Funny thing, when I look at the "big water storage tank" my thoughts often drift to the two 3363 US gallon (6726 total) water storage tanks fed by a rainwater collection system we use in lieu of a well and what could be done with that thermal battery! If I live long enough maybe I'll dig up the lids, get some insulation,... ... ...

But before I did that I'd look long and hard at a PV install like pinballlooking has done and generate income from the grid for a change. Now that's something I could get interested in ;-)
sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote