View Single Post
Old 08-31-12, 06:13 PM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I love how B&D made the height adjustment so easy.

I didn't know that the ridges were designed to break off to save the motor. In the mower that I fixed up, the ridges didn't do the job and it shattered about 1/4 of the permanent magnet material(2 large shaped ferrite slabs). I just took the motor apart and fished out all the shavings and chunks, then put it back together and ran it to let it self-machine any of the rough edges and work out any material that was hiding, took it apart and cleaned it again. Then I mowed the lawn twice and the cheap top end bearing snapped so I swapped it out for a ball bearing and it's been doing great ever since. After that I converted mine(was plug-in) to battery power by destroying an extension cord, adding an appropriate fuse, adding a battery of the proper voltage and fashioning it to the proper size, and more or less just plugging it in.

I think the weak/wear point of these is the top bearing, it's a double ring bearing with thin spokes where the spokes fatigue and break and then the motor basically locks up. It wasn't too hard to find a ball bearing that friction fits in place between the housing and the motor shaft though.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote