View Single Post
Old 03-11-16, 09:31 PM   #511
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

My system was about $4.5/watt installed for my 3.36kw system and about $3.2/watt after tax credits. I get a .08c/kwh bump that gets paid annually for the first 10 years from my utility by selling them my midwest renewable energy tracking credits through a contract to the utility for that period and I get compensated through net metering on my bill. If there is a $25+ credit on my bill, they mail a check. At my current electric rate yearly average of 11 cents and my 2015 solar production, I'm looking at about 70% payback in the first ten years and about 7 more years until the rest would be 'paid off'. Looking at the costs of permitting and the equipment, it looks like the 2 person solar install plus the electricians brought home most of the cost and not the equipment or permitting. I asked around before I got my system installed and it seems in my area in 2014 when I got my system quote, this was what everybody was changing at the time. Either way, I expect electric costs to rise and we have a strong defense in the Minnesota public utilities commission to protect net metering and fixed monthly costs for solar owners.

Once the 10 years is up, I should be able to add a pole mount in the back yard and add another 2 modules without the utility giving any fuss about it as long as I pull the electrical permit. My inverter warranty covers an additional 690 watts and based on my summer solar experience, on the sunniest summer days I would just barely be touching the 3395 watt clip that my 3000 watt SolarEdge inverter maxes out at during the peak hour of the day. I imagine I might be inclined to add slightly more capacity since whenever it's peaked before the temperature the inverter is reporting is a reasonable margin from the derating figure, warranties don't last forever and I'd be willing to give up the 12 year warranty at the 10 year mark.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote