View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 01:02 PM   #7
TechShop
FNG

Cool stuff!

It's neat to see how other people tackle a problem. I like your addition of the evaporator and compressor temps.

I've been doing something similar for a few years using the NOAA.gov weather forecast feed.

I searched thinking I had added it here to the forum, but I guess I just mentioned it in my last post in my heat-pump thread and never updated the thread with more detail:

https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?p=47976

The URL I posted at the end of that thread will give you XML data for the latitude and longitude you plug in. I wrote some Python that runs on a Raspberry Pi to grab the XML for the next 168 hours (seven days), then parse the XML. They give you wind and precipitation data too, so I plot that in python.

From the NOAA temperature forecast, I fit a 5th order polynomial curve. Then, I take the first derivative to get the rate of temperature change. Those two polynomials are used to generate hourly points for a "response" curve in a CSV file. It's kind of like solving a differential equation and plotting one point for each hour. I let that script run every night at midnight. The automatic mode pulls up that CSV file every hour and changes the temperature to the value calculated by the "response" curve. The result is a

All of that is presented on a little web page running on the Raspberry Pi. I just pass parameters through the URL to change settings.

I've attached a screen shot of the interface.
Attached Images

TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TechShop For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (07-06-21)