View Single Post
Old 04-06-14, 08:14 PM   #7
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I found that river's name concerning as well, I assumed it had something to do with Canada ,I checked up on it to give you a answer.

Canadian River Basin

The Canadian Basin is the northernmost river basin in Texas. Due to low precipitation and high evaporation rates that predominate in the region, the basin has a low average watershed yield. The basin's name-sake river may have received its name from early explorers who thought that it flowed into Canada. From headwaters in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico, the Canadian River flows across the north-ern Panhandle of Texas to its confluence with the Arkansas River in Oklahoma.

Smaller streams in the basin include Punta De Agua, Palo Duro, and Wolf creeks. The Canadian River Compact between New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas places limits on conservation pool storage in reservoirs in the Texas and New Mexico portions of the basin. Limited surface water supplies, often further depleted by drought, are an issue in the basin. In addition, ground-water supplies, which have historically provided the majority of water used in the basin, are experiencing long-term decline, especially in the Ogallala Aquifer.
http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/surfacew...dian/index.asp

“‘Canadian,’ as applied to the main fork of the Arkansas, has no more to do with the Dominion of Canada in history or politics than it has in geography, and many have wondered how this river came to be called Canadian. The word is from the Spanish Rio Caņada, or Rio Caņadiano, through such a form as Rio Caņadian, whence directly, ‘Canadian’ r., meaning ‘Caņon’ r., and referring to the way in which the stream is boxed up or shut in by precipitous walls near its headwaters.”
Chronicles of Oklahoma

All and all I guess its a old name that makes little sense today..

Last edited by ecomodded; 04-06-14 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: add link
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote