View Single Post
Old 11-11-14, 10:31 PM   #3
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

Flashlights are really nice to have - if you can find them. I've resolved that by purchasing a couple of plug-in LED lights. They are always ready, and automatically turn on when the power goes off (provided they are in the charging stand).

We used to regularly have power outages of 3-10 days, almost always caused by limbs taking down lines during storms.. PG&E restores power in order of how many customers are affected, with maybe a couple hundred houses in our area, we waited, sometimes days.

With a wood stove & natural gas wall furnace for heat, we were fine. With a well, no water. Not being able to flush toilets really sucks! Most of the time we would get by, collecting water from downspouts to flush with. For extended outages, the sky would clear leaving us with no way to flush again. Eventually, I bought a gas generator to run the well and the fridge. But, keeping a generator running for a refrigerator is maddening, Especially burning $20 in gas to save $3 in milk. Now, I put fridge contents in ice chests, and hope for the power to return soon. Haven't had to throw any milk out yet

Many years ago, after they were found liable for a couple of fires caused by limbs and power lines, PG&E really stepped up their vegetation control programs - in California, the utilities are responsible for maintaining the utility ROW. Now, we rarely have outages.

I am now planning a battery back up system for the cable modem, router and phone (Ooma VOIP). My cable provider seems to be pretty good at keeping the cable powered up during outages.

Pat
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote