View Single Post
Old 11-16-17, 12:52 AM   #8
medicdude
Lurking Renovator

Lots of good info on toms hardware, it's my goto source, this page has comparisons of power consumption (I cant post links yet you can just google ryzen power usage)

Looks like they don't normalize it to actual processor performance, so I think intel and the new ryzen is pretty close, enough that it shouldn't really matter, maybe just buy whats cheaper with the mobo.

A big chunk of your power performance will come from near-idle conditions and from GPU when under load, if you aren't doing any real gaming APUs offer great basic performance, but if are going to game at least pick up a geforce1050. I actually have a spare 1050 but its probably not worth shipping all the way from east coast.

Your power supply can have a huge impact on your near idle efficiency, some of them are a lot better than others, you will have to google for test benchmarks for specific models of PSU to find this info. I recommend silver or gold efficiency they seem to have the best price points, bronze if you must (bronze is leagues above not bronze). PSUs are also designed to reach peak efficiency around 50% load; if you are going to be doing a lot of heavy gaming get one that is rated significantly higher than your max power usage (about 1.5-1.7 times), if not heavy gaming you are best off with one barely above what your expected max power draw, so you keep your expected usage close to that 50% mark for top efficiency.

Another nice bonus is if your fans can speed control or shut off under low load, some PSU units can also control their own fan this way. It's not really a huge factor tho.

Turn off your PC and monitor when not using it, this can save you loads of power. Some of the older monitors also have horrendous power reqs compared to newer designs.

EDIT: Also I'd recommend going for a 240GB SSD and using the money saved to grab a 2TB (or whatever) HDD. You can adjust the power settings or straight out disable it if you are not using it, but its great for backups or bulk storage for videos, extra video games, etc. The power savings for SSD is really only significant for laptops, for desktops it's pretty negligible, and actually HDDs can be better for very heavy workloads.
medicdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to medicdude For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-16-17)