View Single Post
Old 02-23-15, 01:38 PM   #4
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
Nice job. How many sides of your garage are attached to the house?

Reason I ask is my mother in law is always complaining about a cold garage. Only one side of her garage is attached to the house. She want's to insulate it, but I'm not sure if that's actually going to accomplish much, unless there's actually a heat supply to the house.
Two full walls. I have only been in the house since July, and boy did that garage heat up towards the end of the day! This is the first time I have experienced a winter in the house, so I really don't know what the bottom end temperature could be. My biggest motivation for insulating the garage was to reduce those extreme temperatures (both cold and hot) to keep my worms (vermicompost) healthy.

Since the ground temperatures in North Alabama never get below freezing, my concrete garage floor should always act as a radiator/heater to keep the garage temperature fairly normal. Since insulating, I have not seen a temperature below 35 degrees F (not bad!) when the outside temperatures were around 10 degrees. It could be me, but I feel like the heat load on the house was reduced slightly....
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote