View Single Post
Old 09-28-10, 10:51 PM   #17
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I don't think we have to be completely independent, but our current reliance is completely unacceptable. The incredible usage (read waste) that we have here is ridiculous.
Yes, our (U.S.) use of energy is ridiculous and incredibly wasteful. According to Amory Lovins at the Rocky Mountain Institute "Fully applying today's best efficiency technologies in a doubled-GDP 2025 economy would save half the projected U.S. oil use at half its forecast cost per barrel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
So many simple and easy things could lower our energy consumption. Why is it so hard to get people to even make simple small changes?
Currently there is very little economic incentive to do so. When it becomes too painful / expensive people will scramble to reduce their energy use. For example; the gasoline price spikes of the 1970's and 2008.

I think this question could broadened to "Is Freedom from Fossil Fuels a Worthy Goal?" I think the answer is definitely yes. The question is am/are I/you/we/the country planning ahead and making incremental changes now or not.

I think that as fossil fuel demand grows and supplies are depleted that prices will rise, but not in a steady, smooth curve. The more I/you/we/the country can reduce our reliance on finite fuel sources with volatile supply and price now the better off we will be in the short and long term future.

All that said, I still use plenty of fossil fuels in various forms. But, I am making changes to reduce my and my family's use of fossil fuel. Here's hoping that I can stay ahead of that falling supply / rising price curve.

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TimJFowler; 09-29-10 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote