Thread: Cistern
View Single Post
Old 10-27-17, 01:08 PM   #45
oil pan 4
Land owner

The main tank is going to be about 8 feet cubed.
Should hold around 7,000 gallons or about 60,000 pounds of water. I should only need 3 total satellite collectors.
Problem is when it doesn't rain for 3 to 9 months the only rain we get comes down in hard short bursts.

If I put water collection around everything I'm looking at up to 3,200 square feet.

Problem is average rain fall is 20 inchs per year, so we really can get between 7 and 30 inches per year.

That depth is not good for around here, the guy next door also has a well that deep, he says after the initial water is gone, his well recovery rate is about 1gpm.
It's better than a dry hole.
So I am going to explore other options like having the 12.5 inch well drilled deeper.
Supposedly if you go down about 340 ft you can run a 5hp 480v 3phase pump as fast as you want and not drop below 50 feet of water.
I would not think twice about dropping up to $2,500 on well drilling. But I have no idea how much it costs.
Could be if I only have $2,500 they would laugh at me.

I recovered a few hundred feet of pump cable so one less thing to buy at least. I also had a lot that was exposed to sun and was ruined, it goes to the scrap yard.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote