View Single Post
Old 02-25-17, 12:21 PM   #10
slippy
Helper EcoRenovator

Well, we have a problem.

Shortly after adding some kitty litter (bentonite) to help remove cuttings, our pump ran out of gas. I rushed to partially fill the tank, and in those down 30 seconds, we went from smooth-as-silk movement to stuck-like-glue.

A chain hoist will give us about 1/2" of total movement, under great strain. Release tension, pipe goes right back. It almost feels like the PVC is stretching, if that is even possible.

We have used a new 3/4" "rescue pipe" and have cleared out the center of the drill pipe nearly to the bottom (set screws are located about 6" from bottom). We removed the rescue pipe, and have reinserted it right beside the drill pipe. All day yesterday we were removing very, very, very fine silt all day, and were battling getting the rescue pipe stuck. Seeing nothing coming out of any size (not even a grain of sand), we tried pumping FROM the rescue pipe, but that was very problematic. It was hard to get/keep the pump primed, suction was low, and on one insertion we got a glob of clay which plugged the pipe.

We have gone down to within 2 feet of the bottom of the drill pipe with the rescue pipe, and I guess will take it all the way down on Monday to see if that will help.

I'm toying with driving an hour away to fetch some REAL drilling fluid stuff (thinking a polymer-based, and maybe a flocculant), as well as perhaps going AROUND the 1-1/2" drill pipe with a new 3" drill pipe. If that goes, then it sure would make the well screen insertion go easily... so long as we don't stick the 3".

Yes, two days of struggling. I perhaps should have just abandoned and moved over a foot.

What particulates we are removing, when settled, feel like the mud at the bottom of a lake. Very, very "powdery." When you squeeze a handful of it to get most of the water out, it feels like modeling clay. Giving a ball of it the 1-meter drop test, it deforms into a pancake, with no breakage.

If anyone has any thoughts on unsticking my drill pipe, I'm all ears!
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote