View Single Post
Old 10-12-16, 01:20 PM   #1
IdleMind
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Hpwh 2 (heat pump water heater #2)

This is my second small heat pump water heater build. I am starting with a 6 gal 110v electric water heater that I found on craigs list for $45. I have 2 dehumidifiers in my basement. One is about 13 years old and uses r22, the other is about 5 years old and uses R410a. The older one has lousy performance compared to the newer one as measured by water removed per watt-hour. Perhaps the newer one has a better control system. Anyway I am using the old one for this project.

The first step was to grind off the scale from the steel bottom and then tin it with an acid core solder. Here's a photo after tinning.

I am soldering a coil of 3/8 copper tube to the bottom of the heater. I started with a 20 foot coil and got 15.8 feet of working coil soldered in place. My first build had only a 2.5 gal tank which wasn't big enough to put the coil on the bottom. On that one I used about 18 feet of 1/4 copper tube soldered to the side of the tank. I think this will be much better. Here it is after taking outside and washing off the flux residue.

Next I covered the coil over with silicone caulk as a first layer of insulation.

Then I reattached the top & bottom covers and injected with great stuff, I kind of over did it, the covers buckled out a bit as it expanded and cured.

I have the dehumidifier modified so more photos to come soon.

IdleMind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IdleMind For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-12-16)