View Single Post
Old 09-03-16, 02:32 AM   #4
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
if you are saving that much using window units, just think how much more you could save by slapping something reflective on your roof. A 5 gallon bucket of cool-seal goes a long way.
Been there, done that. The problem that may occur is that in a metro area large amounts of carbon soot drift to earth staining the roof with a moderately hard to remove gray palor. Moving to a light colored shingle like Owens Corning "Amber" can lower the roof temperature down to about 125 in South Texas. Radiant barrier will get you down to about 110 - 115 in the attic with a good solar powered or electric ventilation roof fan.

Beyond that (if some spending is in the budget) a better solution will be a Gree Terra mini split heat pump. I have a 24,000 btu 21 SEER unit for the bottom floor (about 1100 sq ft with 23 foot vaulted ceiling), a 12,000 btu 25 SEER unit in the upstairs master bedroom with kitchenette and bathroom, and 6,000 btu window units in the downstairs bedrooms. The old 5 ton central ac was removed and all attic ducting is now gone also. All-electric home bill went for $200-300 per month with central to $100 to $200 with us running cooler temperatures than before in summer and warmer temps in winter.

They work so well I have bought two Gree 27 SEER 9,000 btu mini splits to replace the downstair window units 14 SEER. That is just to further lower monthly bills. We are already able to freze anyone out in summer or heat them to discomfort in winter, so when I install these later it will not be because we need more btu's.

Before I forget, welcome KazBach, fellow Texan!

Last edited by Just One More; 09-03-16 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just One More For This Useful Post:
KazBach (09-03-16)