Old 12-04-09, 07:36 PM   #8
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Guy Marsden has done some really good work. I might be getting some of those
nice insulated curtains he found.

Maybe even add some Solar PV in the backyard to lessen the impact of all the
phantom power suckers in my house. Today I turned off the PC, heat, fridge and freezer
and took a long look at the continuous 24/7 load. It's 300 Watts!!!
That's 7.2 kWh a day! More than I use to heat the whole house on mild days!
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/projec...l-project.html

So, now I'm looking at adding another source for the house to feed on..

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-....html#post5110
Hi,
The starter kits with 1 large pv panel plus 1 enphase inverter are interesting. Several outfits offer them now. I think you could call Solar Panels from Wholesale Solar Renewable Energy on the phone and get their opinion on whether its really a viable thing to do, or just something to get you interested in a larger system -- they offer one of these startup kits, and I found them to be pretty honest on questions.

For a code compliant hookup, you would have to to run the 240VAC that the micro-inverter outputs to a disconnect switch that is located near the utility meter, and then on to a dedicated 240VAC breaker in your breaker panel. Similar to this:
DIY PV System Installation -- Wiring
This is some work, but, it does not add a lot of cost. It would also set you up to be able to add more pv panel and micro-inverter pairs to the system. You can have up to 15 on one breaker.

On the paperwork side, you would have to (most likely) get a permit for the work, and then sign up with the utility for a net metering agreement, and get a new utility meter (which is normally free I think). The utility will probably want to see the signed off permit before they will do the net metering. Of course, if you are never producing more power than you are using, there is no gain for you from net metering.

On a more bootleg basis, I think that one could do something as simple as taking the micro-inverter output and plugging it into a 240VAC socket (eg an electric dryer socket). I believe that the inverter would sync up with the grid and work OK. You would not have any overcurrent protection for the micro-inverter or its wiring, and it would definitely not be code legal, but I'm pretty sure it would work electrically.

One problem with this 1 PV panel + 1 micro-inverter setup is that the Enphase micro-inverters have very little in the way of reporting how they are doing. Enphase normally expects you to buy the $300 EMU unit which monitors the micro-inverters and reports how they are doing. Without the EMU, all you get on the micro-inverter are some LED's -- these do tell you when it thinks its working, but does not give power output numbers -- just a green light. I'm not sure what Enphase would say if you called in and said that you are getting a red light on your inverter, but have no EMU to get the actual error code from it. They have good customer support, but not sure how they would react -- ie whether they would replace the inverter.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote