View Single Post
Old 07-15-16, 05:49 PM   #29
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

From what I have found out on the internet , the Leaf battery works well in more northern climates .

The class action lawsuit was brought by Leaf owners in Arizona . They were experiencing accelerated battery degrading .

I can not speak very much as far as the Volt battery situation . I have , however , done some research on the Chevy Spark EV . ( It may be similar to the Volt ? )

The Spark EV has an active thermal management system for the battery . Dexcool GM orange coolant is user to hear or cool the battery . If cooling is needed , the A/C compressor is run , cooling the Dexcool , which is circulated through the battery cooling system . I am guessing , when the battery needs warming , the Dexcool is warmed , bit it is just a guess . There may be heating elements installed in the battery pack .

My understanding is the Spark EV battery is not affected very much by heat .

Evidently , this thermal management system works well . As such , I do not know , but suspect the up coming Chevy Bolt will probably use some form of this system ?

The Bolt is projected to have 200 mile ( or better ) range .

God bless
Wyr

PS It seems some variations of lithium battery chemistry is more heat tolerant than others . I think the 2015 Leafs got a newer " lizard " battery which is suppose to be more heat tolerant ?

The early 24 kwh batteries that get replaced by Nissan ( whether on Nissan's dime or the customer's dime ) are suppose to be " Lizard " batteries .
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote